What is Testosterone Gel (Androgel)?
This medicine contains testosterone, a male hormone produced naturally in the body. This medicine is used in adult men for testosterone replacement to treat various health problems caused by a lack of testosterone such as male hypogonadism.
What do you need to know before you use Androgel?
Do not use this medication if:
If you are allergic to testosterone or any of the ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6),
– If you are suffering from prostate cancer,
– If you are suffering from breast cancer.
How to apply?
The recommended dose is 5g of gel (i.e.50 mg of testosterone) applied once daily at approximately the same time, preferably in the morning.
The daily dose may be adjusted by your doctor, on an individual patient basis, not exceeding 10 g of gel per day.
The gel must be gently spread onto clean, dry, healthy skin as a thin layer on the shoulders, arms or stomach.
After opening the sachet, the entire contents should be taken out of the sachet and applied immediately onto the skin.
Allow the gel to dry for at least 3-5 minutes before dressing.
Wash your hands with soap and water after applying.
Do not apply to the genital areas (penis and testes) as the high alcohol content may cause local irritation.
Possible transfer of testosterone
During close and relatively long periods of skin contact testosterone may be transferred to another person unless you cover the treated area and could result in the other person showing signs of increased testosterone such as more hair on the face and body and a deepened voice.
It may cause changes in the menstrual cycle of women. Wearing clothes covering the application area or washing the application area before contact protects against such transfer.
The following precautions are recommended:
For the patient:
– wash your hands with soap and water after applying the gel,
– cover the application area with clothing once the gel has dried,
– wash the application area before making close contact with another person.
If you believe testosterone has been transferred to another person (man, woman or child), this person should:
– wash the affected area of skin immediately with soap and water,
– report any signs such as acne or changes in the growth or pattern of hair on your body or face to your doctor. You should preferably wait at least 1 hour before showering or bathing after applying this medicine.
How to store Androgel
This medicinal product does not require any special storage conditions. Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the box.