Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioning of Exposure

Hi Doctor,

I have read the posts in this forum and realised that numerous posts have been focused on the discussion of the risk of exposure to HIV when non-intact skins get in contact with surfaces which may contain hiv- contaminated fluids/ blood.

That leads me to a questioning of whether the daily exposure of skin problems such as scratches, abrasion or eczema ( blood can be seen) to the above-mentioned surfaces ( eg bus / train seats /chairs in public ) would in fact lead to a risk of contracting HIV?

I have read online that hiv cannot survive for long when exposed to air (please correct me if I am wrong). Hence,should we be paying attention to such a kind of ‘ exposure ‘ in daily life as one may end up going for hiv tests repeatedly ,taking into consideration that such an exposure is considerably a commonplace in daily life .

Thanks!

Regards

Dear Doubt24,

There is no risk of HIV transmission from daily exposure of broken skin

Regards

Comment

Dear Doctor Zeng,
      Thank you for your assurance that there is no risk of HIV transmission when broken skins are exposed to surfaces which may be contaminated with bloods/ fluids carrying HIV.

Regards

Comment

Hi Doctor Zeng,

Good day.

Sorry to bother you with another question again. In other posts, you have mentioned that the risk of exposure to hiv is negligible when broken skin gets in contact with external surfaces without the presence of visible blood . If this is the case, what may be the risk when one’s broken skin ( eczema, abrasion or scratches )gets exposed to visible blood on external surfaces unknowingly and also, how should we define ‘ visible blood’?

Thank you so much for your patience .

Regards

Comment

Hi Doubt24,

The risk of HIV transmission from a spash injury from a KNOWN HIV patient to broken skin is around 0.3%. On exposed surfaces, the probability of the virus surviving is very low even in a blood medium. The risk of transmission from such exposure is as such, still negligible.

You are probably overestimating the risks. There has not been any documented transmission of HIV from the environment.

Regards

Comment

Hi Doctor Zeng,
            Thank you for your reply and assurance .

Best Regards

Comment

Hi Doctor Zeng,
              If this is the case, are we right to say that the risk of exposure only exists when hiv contaminated blood/ fluids get right into our bloodstream, given that the cuts that we have are deep enough ?
              Whereas for daily situations when scratches / hangnails/ small cuts with blood seen get exposed to surfaces which may contain hiv-contaminated blood / fluids, the risk is still considerably non existent and we do not need to go for any hiv screening ?
              Thanks !

Regards

Comment

Hi Dr Zeng,
                I sincerely hope that you would be able to clarify my doubt .
                Thank you.

Comment

Hi worried688,

I believed I'll already adequately answered your questions. You do not need to go for HIV screening every time you get some cuts/scratches/cuts. HIV does not transmit that way.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X