X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query7
    replied
    Hi Doctor Zeng,
    Thank you for your clear explanation and assurance.

Best Regards

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Zeng Shanyong
    replied
    Hi Query7,

No significant risk as well.

What I prefer to is blood splash injury from a known HIV patient. If you come into contact with blood stains/dried blood for example, the risk of transmission is negligible as the virus does not survive for long in an external environment.

I would reiterate that there is no risk of HIV transmission from environmental exposure.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Query7
    replied
    Hi Doctor Zeng,

Good day.

I would like to hereby follow up this thread with another query.

I have read the other posts which were related to the above-mentioned question and I would like to sincerely thank you for your patience when addressing our queries.

With queries related to environmental exposure,you mentioned that ‘one will be fine if one doesn’t see any visible blood ‘. May I know whether there is any significant risk if one really touches visible blood with broken skin ( scratches , abrasions etc) on surfaces? Also, how do we classify visible blood ?

Thank you once again .

Regards
    Last edited by Query7; 07-27-2020, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Query7
    replied
    Hi Doctor,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I shall put this thought out of my mind and will not consider it as a risk to HIV then.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Zeng Shanyong
    replied
    Hi Query7,

Your risk of contracting HIV from environmental sources is practically zero. There are no cases yet of anyone catching HIV from environmental exposure.

Even with splash injuries from a patient with confirmed HIV on broken skin, the risk is negligible, around 0.3%

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Query7
    started a topic Exposure ?

Exposure ?

Dear Doctor,
    I would like to seek your medical advice on the following query :
    I have always had scratches/torn skin on my legs due to heat rash/ itchiness and blood will be visible. I am not sure whether this will be considered as an open/broken wound and if it is, would this constitute a risk of exposure to hiv when my legs touch environmental surfaces which may contain hiv contaminated fluids/ blood ?
    I have read from numerous online sources claiming that there is indeed a risk of contracting hiv if broken skins get in contact with hiv contaminated blood . However, I do not know how true that is as based on my understanding , HIV virus cannot survive for long when exposed to air .
    Hence, I would like to seek your medical opinion on the above-mentioned query.
    Thank you.

Regards

Working...
X