Sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing

Hello. Doctor, you arevery educated and knowledgeable and I hope that you'll be able to help me out. I know someone who is +ive. I'm not certain whether he's on medication. A few nights ago, we were having dinner and drinks and he had a taste of my drink using my straw. On any other occasion, this would not have me worried. The other night was different though because I know for a fact that my friend had a small cut on his inner lip. He kept accidentally biting it and I know that it was slightly bleeding at one point because he even showed it to me. That time, I also had an infected molar, a hollow wound that was bleeding from time to time. I have asked counsellors to seek for assistance regarding this. One said this shouldn't concern me while the other said seemed uncertain. I would really appreciate it if you shed some clarification whether I should be worried about this or not. Is there a reason for me to be concerned because he used my straw while he had a cut on his lip and I also had a hollow wound and we may have both been bleeding at that time?

Hi and thank you for the question

You should absolutely not be worried about contracting HIV from this
    You cannot get HIV from sharing straws even if your friend was bleeding. Even if some of his blood got in your mouth.
    The amount of virus is too small to cause an infection
    Furthermore there are many factors in the mouth like the low osmotic potential, the presence of mucin and antibodies etc that inactivates the HIV virus
    The neighbouring country has just built a wall to keep outsiders out. These outsiders do not have a passport and are trying to get over the wall through different means. The HIV virus is one of these outsiders, they will try all means to get across the wall We will discuss in this article,  the

Comment

Thank you for your response, Doctor. I understand that sharing utensils should not be a concern even if my friend was bleeding but what about if both people have a cut or wound in their mouth? In my scenario, my + friend had a cut in his lip that was bleeding at one point and I also had a wound that was somewhat deep and infected and was bleeding sometimes because of a tooth infection. If the + person's blood somewhat got on the straw and I drank using it after while I have a wound in my mouth, should this still not be a concern?

Comment

That is an impossible question to answer as it is impossible to have large scale scientific data for such a specific event
        Based on all the theoretical knowledge we now have on HIV, I would say that it is still impossible
        But what is the point of you continuing to worry about this?
        You can either accept the fact that you were not at risk or go get tested for HIV to get peace of mind
        Continuing to worry and analyze (even over analyze) the problem will not give you any closure

Comment

Hello, Doctor. I apologize if this is something that I keep following up on. I went and got an Ag/Ab test 15 days after the situation I described in my original post. The result was non-reactive. During the counselling though, I was asked by the counsellor why I got a test in the first place. I told her about the situation. She then told me about window periods and that it's best that I get a test by October or before the end of the year to make sure. She also told me to be more careful around my + friend next time. I'm assuming she meant careful with sharing straws because that was the situation that I described to her.

Doctor, please help me understand. I know you are an expert in this field. I know that a test at 15 days is not conclusive but is there any value to a 15-day test? Do I really have to wait before the end of the year to make sure? You mentioned that I shouldn't worry about this situation. Why does the counsellor, who is a medically trained professional, say that I have to wait until the end of the year to get final results.

Doctor, please answer my questions. I apologize again if I keep following up but I just need clarity on this. Please, Doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X