PrEP Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PrEP Safety

Hi Dr, I am a Male and I took 2 pills of truvada as PrEP 24 hours before encounter with a Female Sex Worker and I took 1 pill everyday till my encounters for three days and after that I took additional 1 pill for next two days after encounter. I did an 'On-Demand Regimen'. I had used condoms and as far as I think that they did not leak. So in that case should I be worried? When should I get tested? Am I safe? What are my chances of contracting HIV? Thanks Dr.

Also Doctor I indulged in deep kissing also. Kindly take a note of that too Doctor. Thanks.

Comment

Hi nava6221,

I think the risks of HIV transmission is very low, even though on-demand PREP is typically not recommended for vaginal/frontal sex.

You should get tested every 3 months as part of your PREP prescription.

Regards

Comment

Sir one more question, wouldn't OnDemand PREP be safe for men if it prevents MSM during penetrative and receptive acts? I am a bit nervous because I thought that the med would reach the required concentration in male genital sooner than it would reach in vaginal tissues? Also Sir when is the earliest I can get myself tested for HIV ? Thank a lot Doctor.

Comment

Hi nava6221,

Studies on On Demand PREP were done on MSM couples so there isn't enough data yet for heterosexual couples for prevention of HIV. In theory there should be sufficient protection but the data isn't available so we cannot recommend On Demand Prep for vaginal/frontal sex.

The earliest test available is the HIV ProViral DNA test. It's accurate from D10 onwards. You can refer to the below link for more information on window period for HIV testing.

Regards
          HIV Window Period: When it comes to HIV testing, two of the most common questions we have are “When Can I Test for HIV?” and “Are My Results Conclusive?”

Comment

Thanks Doctor, ever since my last encounter I was supposed to take truvada for 2 more days, but I have been taking it further. So in that case should I continue taking it further as PEP ? I had initially started it as an On Demand Regime. Or should I stop taking it now. Thanks a lot Doctor.
            Last edited by nava6221; 01-05-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Hi nava6221,

You can't take Truvada by itself as PEP, you would require another medications.

I would advise stopping it if you are taking it on demand.

Regards

Comment

Thanks Doctor.

Comment

Hi Doctor, i finished my 'On Demand PrEP' on Jan 5th, now can I get myself tested 28 days after 5th Jan with 4th gen HIV test? Or should I wait further? Thanks.

Comment

Hi nava6221,

It should be conclusive at D28 after exposure.

Regards

Comment

Thanks Doctor.

Comment

Hi Doctor, how much reliable would be 4th GenHIV test at D21 post exposure? I am in a bit of anxiety. Thanks Doctor.

Comment

Hi nava6221,

I would say it is not yet conclusive.

Regards

Comment

Thanks Doctor, would an infection of COVID interfere with the result on D28 of exposure? Any chance of getting false negative/positive with 4th Gen HIV test at D28th? Thanks Doctor.

Comment

Hi nava6221,

As mentioned to you before, we do not have the data whether COVID interferes with HIV window period.

With all tests there are possible false negatives and positives. The 4th Gen HIV test on D28 is around 92 to 93% sensitive.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X