Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symptoms while on pep

Hi doctor,

I’m a guy, I went to a massage place three weeks ago. I touched the pubic area( never poke into the vagina) of the massage parlour and at that moment I felt like there were vaginal fluid on the tip of my finger, I didn’t wash it away immediately, maybe like after 10 secs after I went to wash my hand with dove shampoo ( not very thoroughly) , after that I comtinue wash my penis. I asked the massage parlour her status but she kept insisting that she doesn’t have any std. I wasnt sure and I panicked and think of that might be a transmission of hiv, I went to the clinic and was prescribed with pep and taken it at the 26th hour after the incident.

Currently I’m at the third week of pep course, I have experienced some symptoms, sore throat, white spot on my tonsils, swollen lymph node on my neck and ulcers on the roof of my mouth, and chills sometime. I’m so worried that I would be infected. My fingers have no cut and the time in contact with her vaginal fluid, but my concerns are

1. will the virus go inside from the tip of my penis while I was washing it? I googled a lot some say that shampoo cannot completely remove HIV virus.

2. As I’m aware that my risk are low, but showing symptoms makes me anxious and I tend to overthink a lot. I’m worried that the pep has failed or whatsoever. Can I get an opinion from the doctors? I know pep is very promising but having symptoms manifested it really freaks me out. Will I get infected of hiv?

Hi,

Without any actual penetration, your risk of HIV transmission is extremely low.

I do not think that your symptoms are manifestations of ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). Just repeat your HIV serology after you complete PEP.

Regards

Comment

Thanks for the reply dr. Does shampoo and water wash away the HIV virus?

Comment

HIV is typically considered to be denatured and rendered non infective after contact with soaps/sanitizers and after short period in the external environment.

Comment

So that means that my finger got in contact with the vaginal fluid, and after 10 secs I wash it with shampoo (literally shampoo), the HIV virus is already washed away? My doctor told me that HIV virus die about 15 secs after they get contact with air

Comment

Highly likely that the virus is washed away or rendered non-infective by the soap.

Comment

Hi dr, I saw on other website saying that in this scenario, whereas a hand with body fluid touch with penis, the risk of hiv transmission is negligible. Further more I have cleaned my hand with shampoo and water before touch my own penis. What’s your take on this? The risk is negligible?

Comment

I've already given you my take on this topic. Your risk is negligible.

Comment

Hi doc, I have tested today. Which is 5 weeks post exposure and one week post pep. Tested negative on a 4th gen test kit. Is the result conclusive? Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Results are conclusive.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X