Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIV RNA/PCR testing

Hello,
    I have been in a protected sex with unprotected oral sex 16 days ago.
    I'm afraid I have contracted HIV, and there are 3 blood tests available to me.
    I've been very anxious for 16 days.
    I'm also afraid of the false positive situation.
    Can you tell me which one is the most accurate to do at 16 days post-exposure? Can a PCR test yield a false positive if I have another virus like SARS-COV-2?
    - Early diagnosis of infections: HCV RNA, HBV DNA, HIV-1 RNA, HIV-2 RNA (ultra-sensitive method) plasma, Qual.
    - HIV-1 HIV 1 (Qual.) (Real-Time Method) (Qual.) HIV-1, RNA (HIV-1, PCR) plasma, Qual.
    - HIV-1, RNA (HIV-1, PCR) plasma, count. HIV-1, RNA (HIV-1, PCR) plasma, count.
    I'm sorry if the names are unclear because they're translated from another language.

P.S. it's stated on the testing clinic's website that the 1st test in informative after 10 days.

Hi AntonKhalil

Option 1 includes other viral STDs like hepatitis B as well. You probably do not need HIV-2 as it is not endemic in Russia

Option 2 and 3 are similar, both HIV RNA PCR testing. I believe either option would be fine. Test at least 12 days after exposure

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zeng Shanyong View Post
      Hi AntonKhalil
      Option 1 includes other viral STDs like hepatitis B as well. You probably do not need HIV-2 as it is not endemic in Russia
      Thank you for your reply!
      Unfortunately, I have done the 1st test 2 hours ago. Would it be less accurate or would it mistake other viruses with HIV? Do I need to conduct one of the other options instead?

Comment

Hi AntonKhalil,

No worries, it is as accurate. It will not mistake the other viruses as HIV

Regards

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Hello,
            I received the result 2 days after donating blood as "RNA not detected" for the 4 viruses.
            Is the result 100% conclusive at this point (16 days after exposure)?

Test details: (translated from russian)
            ====================================
            RealBest HBV / HCV / HIV PCR

No. RZN 2013/1179

A set of reagents for differential detection of hepatitis B virus DNA, hepatitis C virus RNA and human immunodeficiency virus types 1 and 2 RNA by real-time PCR / RT-PCR. Does not contain reagents for NA isolation.
            =====================================

I'm just concerned about "Doesn't contain reagents for RNA isolation" because I don't understand its reflection on the accuracy of the test since other PCR tests (for HIV only) contain reagents for RNA isolation.
            Should it cause any concern or change the result? since I don't speak russian I couldn't ask them about anything regarding the test PCR test; i just ordered it, donated blood, and received the result.

Thank you very much for help!!
            Last edited by AntonKhalil; 07-16-2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Hi AntonKhalil,

It will not change the results of the tests.

Regards

Comment

Hello Doctor,

I'm sorry I'm a bit anxious, and I have no access to non-emergency these days.

I had three incidents and I'm kinda relating all of them:
                - Two weeks ago, I had iron deficiency (15 micromol/L). And I found out in the WBC that lymphocytes percentage is high at 48% but the lymphocytes count is okay at 2.6. Leukocytes were at 5.39; Doctor made me start an iron supplement (feroglobin) that contains other nutritions like vitamin B6, B12, Zinc, Copper.
                - Last week I strangely had diarrhea for 3 days (only diarrhea with no other symptoms) (1 month after exposure)
                - This week, a pathologist made me undergo a CBC (because of the iron deficiency). It showed low WBC at 3.7, lower than usual lymphocytes count at 1.7 while its percentage stayed the same at 48%, and low GRAN count at 1.6.

I searched everywhere on the internet to find an answer but I couldn't. Some websites suggested that a low white blood cell count is due to a viral infection that prevents the immune system from producing leukocytes.

- Since I had an HIV exposure recently (although an extremely low risk and I had negative PCR at day 16), should I be concerned about HIV with these numbers?
                - Do the counts seem abnormal and I should repeat the tests?
                - What do you suggest me to do with all this?

Thank you!!

Comment

Hi AntonKhalil,

The Leukocyte counts looks alright. Simple viral infections can transiently cause low WBC counts. I would not worry about HIV infection as the tests are pretty conclusive.

You might want to speak to your physician re. whether there's a need for further investigations for iron deficiency anemia to rule out gastrointestinal tract bleeding.

Regards

Comment

Hi Doctor,
                    Just to clarify, I repeated the CBC today and the result came out just now.
                    The WBC is 5.3 which means the previous result was inaccurate. The lymphocytes count is 2.5 but the percentage is still high at 46.7%.

First, thank you for relieving the HIV stress.

For the iron deficiency, it's non-anemic; hemoglobin is always above 15g/dL. I had gastrointestinal tract bleeding 4 months ago due to two ulcerative defects of 8mm.

Do you think it has something to do with the relative lymphocytosis? because since the bleeding happened, the lymphocytes percentage started its elevation: 38.6% -> 41.7% -> 48.1% -> 46.7%
                    I apologize for going off topic. I just need to find an explanation for those strange results.

Thank you!

Comment

Hi AntonKhalil,

The lymphocytes percentages can change with time and situation. The fluctuations that you are concerned about actually look normal to me as he absolute WBC count is normal.

If you are still not convinced I suggest you go back to your own physician.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                      X