Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weakly positive HIV test followed by two Negative results (ELISA,HIV Antibody 1 &2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weakly positive HIV test followed by two Negative results (ELISA,HIV Antibody 1 &2)

Dear Drs, in 2015 when my wife was pregnant with our Son she underwent a HIV test at a local clinic which they said is weakly positive. After consulting our gynecologist, both myslef and wife did HIV Antibody test 1 & 2 (ELISA) at a ISO certified lab in one of the leading private hospital which was found out to be negative. We are from Sri Lanka and myself and wife took part in a blood donating campaign which the hospital contacted us again saying there is a weakly positive result in 2018 (Probably based on the previous record they had in the system). We went and did HIV antibody 1 & 2 Elisa test again at a different hospital and again the test came out as negative for both. We are in a monogamous relationship after marriage. Before marriage i had an unprotected (anal) encounter with an unknown female for twice which was in Feb, 2013. Based on the two negative ELISA result can we both be assured of our negative status or should we go under further testing? Thank you in advance for the time you have taken to read this and eagerly anticipating your reply.

Weakly positive result is only for my wife at the initial test done by the local clinic and both of us tested negative in ELISA antibody 1 & 2 tests done in 2017 and 2018.

Comment

Dear Shenal, thank you for your question.
      It sounds to me like the 2015 HIV test may have been a false positive. There are some factors that can cause a HIV test to turn out as a false positive. The tests done later on seem to have confirmed that the both of you are negative, and you can be reassured of that. If you remain concerned, there are more accurate tests to determine if a person has HIV or not. They are the HIV PCR RNA test and the HIV pro-viral DNA test.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Edwin Ong View Post
        Dear Shenal, thank you for your question.
        It sounds to me like the 2015 HIV test may have been a false positive. There are some factors that can cause a HIV test to turn out as a false positive. The tests done later on seem to have confirmed that the both of you are negative, and you can be reassured of that. If you remain concerned, there are more accurate tests to determine if a person has HIV or not. They are the HIV PCR RNA test and the HIV pro-viral DNA test.
        Dear Dr.Edwin,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I just wanted to reassure if the test results are conclusive as this thought keep popping on my mind for past 5 years. Access to online resources like your platform and getting an advice is not available here at the moment which made me to write you. Will consider about doing a PCR RNA test for peace in mind.Thank you once again for the time taken in reading and replying my inquiry. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
        X