Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracting syphilis

Hi,

I'm HIV+ with a viral load of 39 copies/ml. I recently contracted syphilis but was quickly treated with penicillin - doctor says that it's acute and therefore one shot is enough, although I should get a test again in 3 months to check.

Does getting syphilis increase my viral load significantly? I'm currently on kivexa and edurant. My next viral load test is in June, hence i'm a little worried if i develop drug resistance or the current drugs are not strong enough to keep the viral load in check since I got syphilis

Hi,

Untreated Syphilis is associated with both an increase in viral load and decrease in CD4 cell count. In one study, the mean increase in viral load was 0.22 Log Copies/ml. There is very little you can do about that now. You have already gotten treated. And once the Syphilis is under control, the Viral load should go back down and the CD4 cell count should go back up. In the meantime, you should refrain from any risky sexual activities and not share needles. Because your viral load may be higher, you may be more contagious.

Comment

Working...
    X