Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transvaginal Ultrasound for LGBT?

Hi,

Recently I've been bugged by bloating issues and feelings of fullness easily accompanied by some persistent infection (as shown in urine test) that came back 2 weeks after I completed my antibiotics. Hence, my doctor sent me for an ultrasound scan. However, the radiologist wanted to also conduct a transvaginal ultrasound but after asking me a couple of questions on my sexual activity etc, they mentioned they cannot do it for me. The reason given was that I did not ever have sex with a man before and the hymen might still be intact . I'm not sure why this is of an issue but I guess at that point in time it didn't occur for me to ask in more details. Is it true that I can't proceed with a transvaginal ultrasound in this case? Thanks for your input!

Hi rosepetals,

That is indeed correct. There cannot be any instrumentation of the vagina for a virgo intacto.

Regards

Comment

Hi Dr. Zeng,

Thanks for your response. Is there a reason why a a virgo intacta is a barrier for transvaginal ultrasound? In this case, I assume the definition of virgo intacta does not take into account other forms of penetration beyond penile penetration?

What other ways are there then to check for ovaries/uterus issues in the absence of transvaginal ultrasound (transabdominal ultrasound couldn't produce clear images for one side of my ovary due to gas)?
      Last edited by rosepetals; 07-30-2020, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Hi rosepetals,

Virgo Intacta does mean lack of any penetration irregardless of penis or instrument. It is simply not done because the sonographer is technically conducting rape.

You can speak to your doctor regarding other forms of scanning such as CT or MRI.

Regards

Comment

Working...
        X