Premature Ejaculation – What is Premature Ejaculation (PE)?
Men’s Health Clinic (Caring & Treating Since 2005)
Premature ejaculation or PE is a condition where the man ejaculates earlier during intercourse than he or his partner would like. This usually causes stress to both the man and his partner as both may not achieve optimal satisfaction from intercourse. Premature Ejaculation is a completely treatable condition.
Medical Fact: Do you know that Premature Ejectulation is the most common sexual problem affecting men?
Up to 1 in every 3 men may be affected by it; it’s actually more common than snoring!
So you are definitely not alone.
Why can’t I last long in bed?
There are 2 main reasons why you cannot last long in bed.
- You have difficulty getting or sustaining an erection. This problem is called erectile dysfunction or ED.
- You have no problems getting hard or sustaining your erection, but the moment you begin penetration you ejaculate soon after. This is Premature Ejaculation
Premature Ejaculation is usually psychological in nature. It is rarely a physical problem. Most common psychological factors include:
- Poor body image
- Early sexual experiences
- Relationship problems
Potential biological causes may include:
- Abnormal hormone levels
- Inflammation and infection of prostate or urethra
Is Premature Ejaculation Curable?
As mentioned above, Premature Ejaculation is usually due to a psychological cause.
It is advised for you to speak to your doctor and work closely with him in order to help you overcome your problem.
With time, effort and persistence, you can overcome PE and you can look forward to a healthier sex life with your partner.
When Should I Seek Treatment?
Premature Ejaculation is very common and in some men, it only happens occasionally but not all the time. So that is normally not a cause for concern.
However, if you have any or all of the following, you are advised to see a doctor.
- Frequently or always ejaculate within one minute of penetration
- Almost always unable to prolong ejaculation during intercourse
- One or both of you feeling distressed about this issue affecting sexual intimacy
Treatment Options Available for Premature Ejaculation
Treatment options for premature ejaculation include behavioral techniques, topical creams and oral medications.
Treating Premature Ejaculation may take time so you have to be patient and find the treatment that works best for you. It is recommended that you combine behavioural techniques and medication for best results.
The following techniques may help delay ejaculation:
- Masturbate 1-2 hours before intercourse
- Focus on other forms of sexual play other than intercourse or penetration. You may learn to achieve sexual satisfaction without penetration. This may also relieve pressure of performing during intercourse.
- Learn to delay ejaculation during masturbation by prolonging the duration each time.
The Pause-Sneeze Technique
This is also another technique that may help you and your partner.
- Start your sexual activity, stimulate the penis until you feel almost ready to ejaculate.
- Then have you or your partner squeeze the head of your penis, at the point where the head joins the shaft, and maintain the pressure for a few seconds, until the urge to ejaculate is gone.
- You can repeat this process as long as you like.
When you repeat this exercise a few times, you start to train yourself to be able to control and delay ejaculation
The other technique is called withdrawal. It basically means withdraw before ejaculating. Wait till the sensation to ejaculate passes before you continue penetration.
Using condoms help to reduce penis sensitivity, which can help delay ejaculation.
You may choose thicker condoms as it reduces sensation more than normal or thinner condoms.
The strategies listed above may be effective to help with PE but they take time and effort in order to help you overcome PE. While you are working on delaying your ejaculation, you can take some medications to help make it easier for you to overcome Premature Ejaculation.
1. Topical Creams
One way of delaying ejaculation is by applying numbing or anaesthetic creams on your penis. By numbing the area it helps to reduce sensitivity and delay ejaculation. However, it can be messy and it may numb you and your partner to the point that you don’t get sexual satisfaction. One way to overcome this is by applying the creams on your penis and then putting a condom over it.
2. Oral Medication
At the moment there is only one medicine that is officially available for the treatment of Premature Ejaculation. On top of that, doctors also add on medicine for erectile dysfunction. Studies have shown that when both are taken together, they are extremely effective for treating premature ejaculation even if you don’t have erectile dysfunction. Doctors can also add on painkillers which can have the effect of delaying ejaculation.
The tablets prescribed are usually to be taken only when necessary, before intercourse.
DTAP @Robertson, DTAP Men’s Health Centre.
Speak to Us Today
Premature Ejaculation Treatment is available in all our clinics.
If you are interested in this service and wish to find out more, please call or visit our clinics or drop us an email at email@example.com